Herniated discs require surgery in the event that the symptoms of the condition have become unbearable or debilitating. Depending on the location and pathology of the problem, a number of different kinds of surgeries are available to the patient, but none more appealing than minimally invasive, outpatient endoscopic spine procedures at Laser Spine Institute (LSI).
Herniated discs become symptomatic when the deteriorated disc has come into contact with a nerve and has caused irritation. The back or neck pain that follows is a result of the nerve compression. These symptoms can vary from chronic, local pain to numbness, weakness, and tingling in the extremities. Normally, these symptoms can be managed non-surgically with the help of a physician, but in some instances the conditions warrant a more aggressive treatment plan. And without a doubt, the most intriguing way to deal with herniated discs through surgery is with an endoscopic procedure.
At Laser Spine Institute (LSI), excess tissue from herniated discs is carefully removed during an outpatient surgery, offering a number of inherent advantages:
- Most spinal surgeries at Laser Spine Institute are done without the need for an overnight stay
- We use state-of-the-art, computer-assisted tools, making the procedures more precise than ever
- We only require a small incision, meaning less scar tissue and collateral damage
- Rehabilitation and recovery is much shorter than open back surgery
- Much lower risk of infection and bleeding
- A high success rate, as 87% of our patients report at least some symptom relief within three months of their procedure
Unlike traditional?open back surgery, we treat herniated discs with a minimally invasive approach, meaning our surgeons remove the portion of the herniated disc that is causing nerve compression, rather than removing the whole disc and fusing the adjacent vertebrae together. The results speak for themselves. To learn more about our spine procedures, and for a free review of your MRI or CT scan, contact LSI today.