Herniated discs require surgery in the event that the symptoms of the condition have become unbearable or debilitating. Depending on the location and pathology of the problem, a number of different kinds of surgeries are available to the patient, but none more appealing than minimally invasive, outpatient spine procedures at Laser Spine Institute.
Herniated discs become symptomatic when the deteriorated disc has come into contact with a nerve and has caused irritation. The neck or back pain that follows is a result of the nerve compression. These symptoms can vary from chronic, local pain to numbness, weakness and tingling in the extremities. Normally, these symptoms can be managed non-surgically with the help of a physician, but, in some instances, the conditions warrant a more aggressive treatment plan. And, without a doubt, the most intriguing way to deal with herniated discs through surgery is with a minimally invasive procedure.
At Laser Spine Institute, excess tissue from herniated discs is carefully removed during an outpatient surgery, offering a number of inherent advantages:
- Most spinal surgeries at Laser Spine Institute are performed without the need for an overnight stay
- We use state-of-the-art, computer-assisted tools, making the procedures more precise than ever
- We only require a small incision, meaning there is less scar tissue and collateral damage
- Rehabilitation and recovery is much shorter than a traditional open back surgery
- Much lower risk of infection
- A high success rate, as 87 percent of our patients report at least some symptom relief within three months of their procedure
Unlike traditional open back surgery, we treat herniated discs with a minimally invasive approach, meaning our surgeons remove only the portion of the herniated disc that is causing nerve compression. The results speak for themselves. To learn more about our spine procedures, and for your MRI or CT scan review, contact Laser Spine Institute today.